Sunday, August 19, 2012

What are your students & teachers saying on the 2nd day of school?

I spent a day at The School of Inquiry in Plymouth Indiana this week. The name of the school really says it all. The first thing I saw when I walked in was this message to students from their facilitators:

I am very lucky to be able to visit schools all over the country, one thing I always make a note of is whether it is a building built in the '60s with little updating or filled with gorgeous Steelcase furniture and modern paint colors, what happens in them is more important than what they look like.


Although I loved the paint colors, the quotes on the wall, the thoughtful furniture and work spaces put in place with collaboration in mind, what I really loved were the words that I heard from both staff & students!

Students:
"Thinking about what I believe is hard"
"Hmm I've never thought about my purpose"
"The hardest thing will be learning in a different way"
"The best thing will be learning in a different way"
"I''m not sure what I believe"
"What do I want people to see when they see me?"
"Are your mission, your tagline and your purpose the same, or just related?"
"I know I'm awesome at thinking of ideas, but I need a "green" person to help me organize"
"I totally just got up and talked in front of everybody and didn't die"
"Thinking this way is weird"
"I wonder what we will do tomorrow?"


Staff:
"Oh my gosh, I love these kids!"
"She is a deep thinker"
"That kid has a lot to give"
"It's going to fun to watch her grow"
"This is awesomely exhausting"
"My feet hurt"
"Wait, what? it's time to switch already?"
"What a great mix of kids"
"I love hearing them think aloud"
"Trust, Respect, Responsibility, baby, they are getting this!"



What are your students & teachers saying on the 2nd day of school?




No comments:

Post a Comment